Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 12

How your baby's growing:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, her toes will curl, her eye muscles will clench, and her mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. Her intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into her abdominal cavity about now, and her kidneys will begin excreting urine into her bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. Her face looks unquestionably human: Her eyes have moved from the sides to the front of her head, and her ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.




According to pretty much everything I've read, the morning/all-day-long sickness should start to taper off pretty soon. I certainly hope so. Constant nausea for months on end - and the level of irritation and frustration that it causes - is just something my poor, sweet husband cannot understand. He seems to think that I should be used to it by now. It just doesn't work that way hunny, sorry. I should be back to almost my normal self soon.

I'm hoping to start posting belly pics pretty soon - once I find my camera charger. I figure at this point I might as well wait and start that up with the 2nd trimester, since we're so close! There's not a whole lot to see at this point anyway. I like to pretend that the bump I'm rockin' is all pregnancy-related, but Hubs and I both know the truth: it's most likely more jiggle than baby. Sadly, I never regained my flat stomach after the Monster came along. Not that I've really tried.....but I'm fortunate that my husband loves me and thinks I'm gorgeous no matter how squishy I am!

These days I'm most comfortable in maternity pants or with a hair band to secure my pre-baby jeans since I can't actually button them anymore. I haven't had to buy any maternity shirts yet because most of the tops I already own are loose around the middle, so that's been a nice cost-saver! To you moms, where did you get your maternity clothes? We all know how expensive they can be, and I just can't justify spending $100 on a pair of jeans or $50 on a top that I'll only wear for a few months. As you all know, Hubs is currently unemployed and I'm facing at least a month of leave without pay once the baby comes, so we're trying to save as much as possible. Help me out ladies!



3 comments:

Ams said...

Awwww, I am so excited for this baby blog :)
woohooo!

Iva Messy said...

yay!!! such a cutie!! :)

Llama said...

It is just amazing that THAT is growing inside of you. It is just insane how this all works. I hope hope hope that I can experience that one day...when I am ready of course!!!