Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Planning Vivienne's Nursery

I've been kinda obsessing over our little girl's nursery lately. I know it's kinda weird that we don't even know for sure it's a girl and I'm already planning out the nursery, but I honestly can't help myself. I knew going in it would be a difficult task to make everything work so I figured I'd get an early start and the obsession kinda grew from there. The big issue is that the baby's room is red and it's been pretty much impossible to find any sort of baby girl bedding that has even a little bit of red in it. Pretty much EVERYTHING is pink and brown. The stuff that isn't is 6 different shades of pink and covered in butterflies or puffy flowers, which is fine if that's your style, but it just doesn't work for me. I feel like the bedding should at least have a little red to make it all tie together. I don't want it to look like I just threw a pile of pink fluff into the middle of a red room because I didn't care about matching. I most certainly DO care about matching. I knew I wanted the primary colors to be red and pink, but I really didn't care beyond that (except no butterflies, big cartoony flowers, hearts, or any of that mess - it turns out I'm cool with sparrows and owls). So enough explanation, here is what I found:



I LOVE that it's fun and bright but also girly and has all the colors I wanted. It has a sweet vintage vibe - which is totally me - and I can't wait to see our little girl snuggled up amidst the flowers. The different shades of green will allow me to reuse the glider and ottoman from Logan's room, but it will need to be refinished or painted. We have dark espresso finish furniture in that room so now we have to decide if we want to refinish Logan's old crib or just buy new. I figure we'll just refinish since I'll already be doing the glider, and it will be nice to save some money. The finished products should look something like this:

Our crib isn't nearly this cute but since I'm daydreaming...

I think the refinished glider will look something like this. I'm not hapy about all the little parts that I'm going to have to stain, but gliders aren't cheap folks.

We have some major projects to do before this baby comes. Hopefully this snow will all melt sometime before August so we can get outside and get started.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the room so you can get an idea of the color. It looks totally different in different lighting, so it's somewhere between this:

Pic by our favorite photographers Gina & Tony

and this:


I guess it's kind of a brick red, but I think it will make a nice backdrop for the bedding. It's kind of our old-fashioned room because it has all the original woodwork and trim. That's the crib we'll be attempting to refinish. Hopefully it will all go as planned and I won't just ruin the furniture and end up having to buy new anyway.

I've found a few decor ideas I'd like to try as well. I found an idea that I'm really excited about on a wedding website actually. The couple hung mobiles dangling with origami cranes over each table as a centerpiece. You can't really tell from the picture but some of the paper is solid colored and the rest is patterned. I'd like to make a smaller version in shades of pink, red, yellow, and green to match the bedding. I really wanted something that would look nice to her from below as well as to everyone who walks into the room. Now I just need to work on my origami.


Lastly, I'd like to do an artsy arrangement on the wall above the crib. I haven't decided exactly what to put up there but possibly just different patterened paper or fabrics to match the decor. Something like this:


But you never know. I may just go for a collage of artwork, family pictures, and fabrics. I have time to start collecting items and make the decision.

I know it's probably silly that I'm acting as though we already know this is a girl. The thing is, it FEELS like a girl. As much as I wanted a girl the first time around, I knew Logan was a boy. This pregnancy has been so very different and...I don't know how else to explain it. I could be completely wrong, but I don't feel like I am. I'm staying on Team Pink until the doctor shows me a tiny penis! Don't get me wrong, we will be happy and love our child even if it does have an outie instead of an innie, but we'd really like one of each so we can call it quits. So I'm just going to stay here in my happy pretend pink world for the next 3 weeks and plan for our little Vivienne!

Bedding: Land of Nod
Crib and Glider/Ottoman: Babies R Us
Origami Mobile and Pink and Green Arrangement: I don't remember. Sorry!

2 comments:

Llama said...

I love the idea of including the red into your little girls room. The picture collage is totally adorable. Last week the boyfriend and I actually found a picture of something like that we wanted to do above our bed. I think it is a great idea. I am really hoping that it is a girl too!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

OMG, Marjorie...I looooooove her name. So beautiful! I'm sure the nursery is going to be just gorgeous!