Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bump Fashion

If you or a close friend have had a baby, you know just how incredibly fashionable maternity clothes can be. The full belly panels...the tops that tie in the back...it's all soooo glamorous. *GAG*  In all seriousness, if you're on a tight budget, it is TOUGH to make pregnancy look good. Though I have given in to the unexpected heaven that is full belly panels (seriously, who would have thought that all that extra fabric under your shirt would be so comfortable), I still refuse to buy anything that ties in the back. While that might help out with fit, it's just not cute and frankly it's uncomfortable when you lean back against your chair. I spend pretty much my entire day sitting on my ass, so I need to be comfortable.

When searching out fashion inspiration, it only made sense that I turn to - in my opinion - the most gorgeous woman on earth: Angelina Jolie. Not only is she jaw-droppingly beautiful, but she rocked both of her pregnancies. She stayed in her comfort zone with a lot of black - because when you're packing on the pounds, you really appreciate the slimming effect - but also kept it girly with long flowy dresses. What I like most about her pregnancy style is that most of her outfits can easily be duplicated with cheap, local finds. Target, Motherhood Maternity, Old Navy/Gap, and most department stores carry all the basics you need to replicate her bump wardrobe. Here are a few of my favorites:


I'm kinda digging her monochrome look (not having to match would make it really easy to throw something on in the morning). As an added bonus, the pieces can be mixed and matched with pretty much anything else in your wardrobe to provide a variety of outfits.


A flowy maxi dress is great for a spring/summer pregnancy. You can stay cool while hiding a lot of figure flaws (like my fat legs) and the massive amount of fabric will accomodate a pretty large belly without having to buy maternity.  The right maxi dress could last through your entire pregnancy. I have a few already and definitely plan on investing in a few more.

Wearing a jersey dress is like walking out of the house in your nightgown. I have one that is definitely my go-to dress during the summer when I need to look cute but don't actually feel like getting out of bed. Whenever I wear it, people ask why I'm dressed up. Joke's on them.

Here are a few of my picks to mimic Angelina's style:



I've been doing a little bit of maternity shopping lately, so hopefully I'll share some of those purchases with you soon. A photo shoot just might be in order. I think though, that some of the above items might have to make their way into my closet as well. I REALLY love the all black!

Since not everyone loves Angelina like I do - and there have been so many stylish celeb mamas lately - I think I'll make this a regular feature here. In the coming weeks you can expect the maternity fashion of Gwen Stefani, Nicole Richie, Heidi Klum, and whoever else strikes my fancy. Let me know if there's anyone in particular you'd like to see!



5 comments:

Llama said...

I love love Jersey dresses...even though I've never had a bun in the oven! They are simply the best. They def. feel like you are in your p.j.'s and what is better than that?!?! I love your idea for the celeb pregnant picks, VERY cute! I can't wait! Let us know what you buy! :)

Unknown said...

Maxi dresses are the shit! I am in desperate need of a bathing suit. that is next on my agenda.

Alicia said...

i lived in maxi dresses when i was prego..friggin LOVED them!! and i'm sure you look adorable hun!! :)

HeatherLynn said...

Well, I share your love for AJ....my sisters think she's a slutbag....gothic blood drinker....but I'm like..."whatever!"...she's gorgeous!

she makes looking pregnant quite in-style doesn't she?

HATE HER! ;)

~hl~

Unknown said...

I've seen some really cute maxi dresses on e-bay for real cheap