Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baby Shower Confession

I'm a control freak. There. I said it. This extends to pretty much every aspect of my life. I can't help that I like to be the one in charge...the head honcho...the decision-maker. The people in my life have just learned to accept it and get out of my way.

Anyway, it probably goes without saying that my baby shower is no exception. I came up with the theme, designed the invitations, and have been involved in pretty much every step of the planning process. Like I said, I can't help myself. I freaking LOVE to throw a party! So, really, why should everyone else get to have all the fun? The planning is almost more exciting for me than the event itself, though - don't get me wrong - I like presents too.  :)  My mom - the official "Hostess" - booked the location, sent out my invitations, and  handed over the reigns. So, since my shower is on Saturday and I'm nearly out of projects, I thought I'd share a few of the fun details with you!


My Inspiration Board
We'll have vanilla cupcakes with fresh strawberry filling and cream cheese frosting that will hopefully look just like the picture. There will also be a yummy candy buffet, a chocolate fountain, strawberry lemonade, sweet tea, and assorted fruits and veggies to munch on! The only major changes from the Inspiration Board are that we won't be wrapping the utensils and napkins in candy bracelets...because I didn't buy any. It also looks as though our dumdum topiary was dismantled (eaten) by my sister's kids. Otherwise, we've stayed pretty true to my vision.

My sister has taken on the task of organizing the games and the rest of the decor. A few close friends volunteered to pick up the plates/cups/tablecloths/etc and help us set up the day of. Mom's handling the rsvp's though her reports back to me are usually something like "Aunt Somebody called and said they couldn't make it." Awesome, mom...."Aunt Somebody"? Lol. It's really been a group effort and I kind of like it that way so that there isn't a whole bunch of pressure on any one or two people. That's the reason I turned down my MIL's offer of a bridal shower and why I have never let my friends throw me birthday parties when they've asked. I feel guilt over letting people do that much for me. I'd rather do my share and help out as much as I can. (Aaaaaaand it's possible that I might also like to make sure things are done to my liking...)

Now, I know that Miss Manners would say that it's totally inappropriate for me to be even the least bit involved in the planning of the Shower, but honestly....Miss Manners can suck it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

May I please come to this beautiful shower?! I love it.
I also LOVE planning parties too so I totally feel you on that :) Nothing wrong as far as I am concerned. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!