Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wedding A-Z - Part 2

MUSIC
A lovely friend and INCREDIBLY talented musician agreed to perform during our ceremony. She sang "Here Comes the Sun" while everyone took their places, "Sea of Love" (as performed by Cat Power) when I walked down the aisle, and "I'm Yours" while we greeted our guests as husband and wife.


Kyle and I put together a playlist on the ipod of all of our favorite songs to play at the reception.

We did our first dance to "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star. I found this song on his ipod while we were on our 2nd date. It had always been one of my favorite songs but few people I knew had ever heard of it. It was one of the earliest things we bonded over so there was never any doubt that it would be our first dance song.

NEWLYWEDS




OCEAN
We decided to get married on the beach because it holds so many precious memories for us and because it's where we feel most at home (as long as bikinis aren't involved). We briefly considered a destination wedding but settled on a local beach so that all of our important guests would be able to attend.


PHOTOGRAPHY
Our photographers, Gina & Tony were INCREDIBLE! (They're also a really, really, really cute couple!) All of the pictures on this and the previous post were taken by them. I honestly can't say enough good things about their work. If it wouldn't make me seem totally narcissistic, I'd have our pictures plastered all over the house. Hell, I'd give them away as Christmas gifts. They're just gorgeous. I can look at them over and over and over. Tony and Gina were an absolute dream to work with. They totally understood our vision and they kept us laughing the entire time. They even rocked the house when we pulled out Rock Band at our reception! Hands down, best wedding photographers EVER. If you live in the Chicago area and need a photographer for any reason, I highly suggest that you look them up!



QUIET MOMENTS




RINGS



SOMETHING OLD . . . NEW . . . BORROWED . . . BLUE
Something Old - My "bridesmaid" Shannon let me borrow a family heirloom handkerchief. I returned the favor last year at her wedding by lending her a handkerchief that once belonged to my grandmother.
Something New - Kyle surprised me with beautiful blue topaz earrings the morning of our wedding day. He presented them in a silver jewelry box engraved with "I Only See You" which is the title of one of our favorite songs by Benton Paul.
Something Borrowed - I can't remember, but I think I counted the handkerchief as my "something borrowed" as well.
Something Blue - Our guests - all of the most important people in our lives - were my "something blue" since everyone came dressed in our color, as requested.


TRAVELING IN STYLE
Our officiant drove us girls to the ceremony site in his gorgeous motor-home. It was way better than a limo because it had a bathroom and when I get nervous, I pee. Frequently.


UNIQUE
I happen to think we made a lot of unique choices but the most meaningful for me was including Logan in the vows. It was important to us that he feel like it was just as much his day as it was ours - even though he was so young that the significance was completely lost on him. It was a really special moment for us
as it was the beginning of us as a family.


For something fun AND unique, we played Rock Band at the reception. Our photographers even joined in and kicked all of our asses!



VOWS
I pieced our entire ceremony together myself from little bits I found here and there. The end product was so very special to us. I'd like to have excerpts framed to include in a photo wall I'm planning for our living room.


"These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.
These are the hands that will work along side yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your innermost secrets and dreams.
These are the hands you will place with expectant joy against your stomach, until he too, feels his child stir within you.
These are the hands that look so large and strong, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.
These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your new family
These are that hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy
These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief wrack your mind.
These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you. "



WALKING DOWN THE AISLE
Since Logan was the only special man in my life before Kyle came along, I thought it only fitting that he walk me down the aisle. Unfortunately, this involved a reeeeeeally long walk across the sand before we even made it to the ceremony spot. He wasn't even 2 yet so he walked as much as his little legs could handle then I just carried him the rest of the way. We sang the alphabet over and over the whole way there to keep him happy and focused. It's such a wonderful memory for me, it was one of my favorite moments of the whole day.



X-RATED



YOU MAY NOW KISS THE BRIDE!



Zzzzzz . . . THE END.



I really love looking at our wedding photos. Thanks for celebrating with me!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning!!! And shut the front door... we had the same Hands Poem read too!!!

Anonymous said...

Your dress was STUNNING! And I LOVE that poem/vows!