Monday, September 26, 2011

Buff Mama Monday - My First 5k

A few months ago, in an effort to get back in shape and knowing that I would need a better motivating force than "getting skinny", I registered for a 5k and started the Couch to 5k program. Unfortuantely, because I'm a slacker and I refuse to run in 90 degree weather, I was only about half-way through the program the week before my race (in other words, no where NEAR ready). Luckily, my amazingly athletic friend Claire, took me out for a few 3 mile runs (except her "3 mile runs" are actually 3.6 miles - she just lies and tells you they're shorter) to help me get ready. The runs were really hard but she is an excellent motivator: extremely positive but also really pushed me. She got me through hell week and ran beside me through the actual race. She tracked our pace to keep us on target and told me repeatedly how great I was doing (apparently I'm a high-maintenance runner). I'm not going to lie and tell you that it was "fun" or that I "had a blast", because in truth, it sucked. My legs hurt, I could hardly breathe, it was hot, and I spent at least an hour afterwards feeling pretty certain that I was going to vomit at any moment. All that aside, 38 minutes and 10 seconds later I finished - something I thought I would never do - and I'm really glad I did it. Once the nausea passed and I started to regain feeling in my lower extremities, I was overwhelmed by such an amazing feeling of accomplishment. In fact, I'm already planning my next race (most likely in October). What made this even better for me was getting to do it with two really great friends who I don't see nearly often enough, so hopefully they're both on board for the next run!

In typical girl fashion, we took pictures pre-race. . .

Claire, Shannon, and me
I swear I am not some kind of giant - I'm only 5'5" - I just have really small friends.


In case all the pink didn't tip you off that this was a breast cancer run . . .


These are our "game faces".

Totally unplanned, we all showed up with gray and pink shoes with pink laces.


I'm linking up with Vanessa at The Crafty Nest for Buff Mama Monday since she's also doing Couch to 5k and we mamas have to stick together! I came across Vanessa's blog through The Bump Birth Month message boards while we were both pregnant with our August babies and I've been hooked ever since. She's mama to handsome little Logan (an amazing name choice) AND she's super crafty, so you should go check her out!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment! Something I could never even begin to think about doing. So awesome!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Yay, thanks for linking up! A 5k?! You rock! I'm hoping to sign up for a race soon, but the thought of running a 5k sorta makes me want to puke at the moment lol. Maybe I'll feel differently at the end of C25k.